International Journal of Advanced Scientific Research

International Journal of Advanced Scientific Research


ISSN: 2456-0421

Vol. 4, Issue 6 (2019)

A study to assess the effectiveness of structured teaching programme regarding tube feeding in neonate on knowledge among RGNM students in selected nursing institution

Author(s): Kalpana Padwal, Asma Mujawar
Abstract: Many small, sick and premature infants are unable to coordinate sucking, swallowing and breathing, and therefore, require gavage feeding. In gavage feeding, milk feeds are delivered through a tube passed via the nose or mouth into the stomachIntermittent bolus milk feeds may be administered using a syringe to gently push milk into the infant's stomach (push feed). Alternatively, milk can be poured into a syringe attached to the tube and allowed to drip in by gravity.4 A very little time is devoted for teaching neonatal care in nursing schools. Only eight weeks included in syllabus they distributed three weeks in medical ward, three weeks in surgery ward one week in immunization clinic and one week for well-baby clinic. That means only six weeks actually student works in pediatrics unit. Hence the Researcher was interested to conduct a study on student nurses who are studying in General Nursing Midwifery to impart more knowledge regarding Neonatal tube feeding. Objectives: 1) To evaluate the effectiveness of structured teaching programme on tube feeding in neonate on knowledge among RGNM students. 2) To find the association between knowledge of tube feeding in neonate with selected demographic variables among RGNM students. 3) Hypothesis 4) H01- There will be no significant difference between pre-test and post- test knowledge score among Revised General Nursing Midwifery students on Neonatal tube feeding. 5) H02- There will be no significant association between knowledge score of neonatal tube feeding and selected demographic variables among Revised General Nursing Midwifery students. 6) H1 There will be a significant difference between pre-test and post- test knowledge score among Revised General Nursing Midwifery students on Neonatal tube feeding. 7) H2 There will be a significant association between knowledge score of neonatal tube feeding and selected demographic variables among Revised General Nursing Midwifery students. Methodology: One group pretest post test design was used. 40 samples were selected by Universal sampling technique. Data was collected by using structured questionnaire on Knowledge, the knowledge scores classified into 3 categories: inadequate, moderately inadequate and adequate. Descriptive and inferential statistics were used to analyze the data, and interpretation. Mean value at pre-test was 11.15 which increased to21.47in post-test. In the pre-test – maximum 27(68%) had inadequate knowledge and minimum 13(32%) had moderately adequate knowledge and no one RGNM students were adequate knowledge on tube feeding in neonate. In the post test – maximum 37(92.5%) RGNM students were having adequate knowledge and no one RGNM students were having inadequate knowledge and remaining 3(7.5%) RGNM students were having moderately adequate knowledge on tube feeding in neonate. It is inferred that there was increase in the level of knowledge of RGNM students regarding tube feeding after the structured teaching program. Conclusion: The study depicted that Structured Teaching Programme was very effective in increasing Knowledge regarding on tube feeding in neonate among RGNM nursing students.
Pages: 09-14  |  101 Views  28 Downloads
Join Editorial Bord
Statistics
  • Total Articles322
  • Total Views350972
  • Total Downloads204331
publish book online
library subscription
Journals List Click Here Research Journals Research Journals
Please use another browser.